How can we help you?
Your enquiry will be reviewed with no obligation.
Widow makes appeal to husbandís former colleagues
The widow of an Isle of Wight man who died from an asbestos-related cancer is appealing for her husband's former colleagues to come forward and help in her fight for justice.
In June 2010, Malcolm Denny, 65, was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a painful cancer caused by exposure to asbestos. He sadly died just six months later. An inquest on Tuesday 5 April 2011 recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.
Following her husband's death, Mr Denny's wife Linda urged anyone who may have worked alongside her husband to come forward as she begins her battle for compensation. "Malcolm first became ill at the beginning of last year," said Mrs Denny, 65, of Niton. "When his condition didn't improve, we went to see our doctor and Malcolm was diagnosed with a chest infection. He was referred for further tests, and following a chest x-ray we were told that he had developed mesothelioma.
"Malcolm died before he was able to begin the process of claiming compensation from his former employer," said Mrs Denny. "We believe he was exposed to asbestos whilst working as a Technical Officer for The Guinness Housing Association Ltd, who at the time, were based in Stratford.
"Malcolm worked there for approximately 30 years from 1975," she said. "He organised for tenants to be re-housed whilst their homes were being refurbished. He visited tenants' homes in Chelsea, South London and Stratford whilst work was being carried out to renovate and strip them of asbestos.
"He particularly remembered working in a Victorian apartment building on the Kings Road in Chelsea named Iveagh House," said Mrs Denny. "Asbestos was being removed from the flats and their pipes, causing fibres to be released into the air which he then inhaled."
Now a solicitor specialising in†industrial disease†cases is hoping to hear from Mr Denny's former colleagues or anyone previously employed by The Guinness Housing Association, to help in the family's fight for justice.
"It takes many years after exposure to asbestos before any related disease becomes apparent, which can make finding witnesses and information about the employer very difficult," said Nick Greaves, an industrial disease specialist at Fentons Solicitors LLP. "The problem we now face is tracing Mr Denny's colleagues at the time, who can confirm the asbestos exposure.
"Unless we can prove that he was exposed to asbestos during his time with The Guinness Housing Association Ltd, his family may go uncompensated for the fact that they lost a loving husband and father to this terrible illness," said Mr Greaves.
Can you help?
If you remember working alongside Malcolm Denny, if you worked for The Guinness Housing Association Ltd, Stratford, in the 1970s or 80s, or if you think you can help in any way, please call Nick Greaves on 0207 092 2833 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence, and any detail could be hugely important to this case.
- Speak to a solicitor from day one
- No win, no fee
- Specialist personal injury solicitors
- Law Society accredited
- National Coverage
Latest Case Studies