Pedestrian struck by taxi appeals for witnesses

How can we help you?

Your enquiry will be reviewed with no obligation.

Pedestrian struck by taxi appeals for witnesses

27th October 2011

A 41 year-old Leicester man who was left unconscious with multiple injuries after he was knocked down by a taxi is appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident to come forward.

Martin Williams of Kirby Road, was crossing the road at the junction between Hinckley Road and Narborough Road at around 01:30 on Saturday 23 April 2011, when he was hit by a taxi as it accelerated away from a set of traffic lights.

Rachel Tully, a road traffic collisions expert at Fentons Solicitors LLP, representing Mr Williams, said: “My client, who is a factory worker, cannot remember anything about his accident or the moments leading up to it. The last thing he remembers before waking up in hospital is walking home after an evening out.

“According to a witness at the scene, the taxi that hit Mr Williams was accelerating away from a set of lights which had just turned green,” said Mrs Tully, a solicitor at the firm, “Just as the taxi was driving off, a man from a group of five pedestrians - who were waiting to cross to the right of the car - walked into the road.

“Meanwhile, Mr Williams had also begun to cross the road from the opposite side,” added Mrs Tully. “Whilst beeping his horn and exchanging words with the man who had attempted to cross from the right hand side, the driver failed to see my client approaching from the left until it was too late. The impact threw Mr Williams into the air and over the bonnet and roof of the car. He landed on his back in the road behind the taxi - which immediately stopped.”

Mr Williams was taken by ambulance to Leicester Royal Infirmary having suffered concussion, two broken ribs, a collapsed right lung and a broken right leg. He remained in hospital for 10 days and underwent an operation to have pins inserted into his broken leg, before he was discharged on crutches.

“Mr Williams, who is single, was unable to walk without his crutches and was cared for at home by his mother,” said Mrs Tully. “He was signed off work for three months and suffered a loss of earnings as a result. He returned to work at the end of August and although he has made a good recovery from his injuries he is still unable to play football.

“If anyone was at or around the junction of Hinckley Road and Narborough Road in the early morning of Saturday 23 April 2011 at approximately 01:30 in the morning and witnessed the accident, then please get in touch,” said Mrs Tully. “I am particularly keen to speak to any of the five pedestrians who were waiting to cross the road at the time of the incident.”

Can you help?If you remember seeing the incident at the junction of Hinckley Road and Narborough Road at around 01:30am on Saturday 23 April 2011, please contact Rachel Tully at Fentons Solicitors LLP on 0844 854 3181 or e-mail All information will be treated in the strictest confidence, and any detail could be hugely important to this case.