How can we help you?
Your enquiry will be reviewed with no obligation.
Mesothelioma victim's widow renews appeal for help in fight for compensation
The widow of an Essex man who died from an asbestos-related cancer as a result of work he carried out across London from the mid 1970s is appealing for her husband's former colleagues to come forward and help in her fight for justice.
In June 2010, Malcolm Denny, 65, was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a painful cancer caused by exposure to asbestos. He sadly died just six months later. An inquest held in April last year recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.
Following her husband's death, Mr Denny's wife Linda appealed for anyone who may have worked alongside her husband to come forward with any information they might have concerning his case, but nearly two years on she is still awaiting answers.
“My husband believed he was exposed to asbestos whilst working as a Technical Officer for The Guinness Housing Association Ltd, who were also known as the Guinness Housing Trust. They were based in Stratford at the time,” said Mrs Denny, 65, who now resides on the Isle of Wight.
“Malcolm worked there for approximately 30 years from 1975,” she said. “We lived in Ilford in those days. Malcolm also lived in Southend for a while too. He organised for tenants to be re-housed whilst their homes were being refurbished. Malcolm used to visit tenants’ homes in Chelsea, South London and Stratford whilst work was being carried out to renovate and strip them of asbestos.”
Now a solicitor specialising in industrial disease cases, representing the Denny family, is hoping to hear from Mr Denny’sformer colleagues or anyone previously employed by The Guinness Housing Association, to help in their fight for justice.
Industrial diseases expert Nick Greaves of Fentons Solicitors LLP said: “Malcolm particularly remembered working in a Victorian apartment building on the Kings Road in Chelsea named Iveagh House. Asbestos was being removed from the flats and their pipes, causing deadly fibres to be released into the air which he then inhaled.
“Malcolm first became ill at the beginning of 2010,” said Mr Greaves. “When his condition failed to improve, he went to see his doctor and was diagnosed with a chest infection. He was referred for further tests, and following a chest x-ray he was told he had developed mesothelioma.”
“Malcolm tragically died before he was able to begin the process of claiming damages from his former employer,” added Mr Greaves.“It takes many years after exposure to asbestos before any related disease becomes apparent, which can make finding witnesses and information about previous employers very difficult. The problem we now face is tracing his colleagues at the time, who can confirm his asbestos exposure.
"Unless we can prove that he was exposed to asbestos during his time with The Guinness Housing Association Ltd, his family may go uncompensated for the fact that they lost a loving husband and father to this terrible illness,” he concluded.
Can you help?
If you remember working alongside Malcolm Denny, if you worked for The Guinness Housing Association Ltd, Stratford, in the 1970s or 80s, or if you think you can help in any way, please call Nick Greaves on 0207 092 2833 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence, and any detail could be hugely important to this case.
- Speak to a solicitor from day one
- No win, no fee
- Specialist personal injury solicitors
- Law Society accredited
- National Coverage
Latest Case Studies