Essex mum takes action against shopping centre over ceiling collapse

How can we help you?

Your enquiry will be reviewed with no obligation.

Essex mum takes action against shopping centre over ceiling collapse

30th November -0001

An Essex mum of four is still fighting for justice nearly two years after she was injured when a ceiling collapsed on her head during a shopping expedition with her elderly mother.

Angela McStanhope, 44, from Hainault, was inside the New Look store at the Liberty Shopping Centre in Romford, Essex on 30 August 2012 when the ceiling above her collapsed and electrical wires and debris fell on her head.

Paramedics were called to the shopping centre to treat Mrs McStanhope, who works with vulnerable adults, for shock. She later visited her GP for treatment. She has suffered from regular headaches ever since the accident.

Mrs McStanhope said: “The roof collapse was such a traumatic experience. I stood like a statue for more than ten minutes covered in dust and debris and the shock lasted much longer.

“I was with my 80-year-old mother who was visiting from Jamaica for the first time in seven years.

“It was supposed to be a joyous and happy family reunion for us, but the roof collapse made it a very stressful time.

“I’m still suffering from terrible headaches and just want the situation resolved.”

Law firm Slater & Gordon is representing Mrs McStanhope in her legal action against both New Look and the Liberty Shopping Centre, who deny liability in the case.

Mrs McStanhope: “It’s not about the money, it’s about the principle. I just want the shopping centre management and New Look to apologise to me for the trauma and hurt I suffered as a result of the accident.” 

Slater & Gordon lawyer Michael Latner, who is representing Mrs McStanhope, said: “We’ve already seen documentation confirming that water was leaking from the toilets above the store and that pipes were subsequently removed.

“We are calling on New Look and the Liberty Shopping Centre to acknowledge they are responsible for this incident. They failed to ensure Mrs McStanhope’s safety while visiting their premises.

“All visitors to the shopping centre have the right to expect to be safe while visiting their local shopping centre. This was not the reality for Mrs McStanhope, who was unfortunately injured through no fault of her own on what should have been a lovely day out with her elderly mother.”

For more information contact Samantha Baden or 0207 657 1682.