Damages for Ruislip man permanently injured at work

How can we help you?

Your enquiry will be reviewed with no obligation.

Damages for Ruislip man permanently injured at work

11th November 2011

A Ruislip man has finally received £27,000 in damages in an out of court settlement, more than four years after he permanently injured his leg in an accidents at work.

Quentin Martin, a 55-year-old sales executive, of Field End Road, remains on painkillers and has been told he will never fully recover from the broken leg he suffered when he slipped on a clear sheet of plastic that had been left on the floor of the graphic design firm he worked at in August 2007.

“Although I knew my colleagues had been putting window stickers up on some of the glass partitions in the office earlier that day,” said Mr Martin, “I didn’t know that the plastic backing sheets the stickers came off had simply been left lying on the floor.

“As the backing sheets are completely transparent, they were barely visible,” he added. “Around 5pm I was making my way over to speak to a colleague when I stepped on one of these sheets and my legs just disappeared beneath me. It was like I had slipped on ice.”

Mr Martin was taken to Wrexham Park Hospital by ambulance and given an x-ray which confirmed the fracture to his femur. After undergoing surgery to have a metal pin inserted into his leg to help heal the bone, he was discharged and signed off work for the next five months.

“In September 2010, three years after my slip, I was admitted to the Nuffield Orthopaedic Hospital in Oxford as my broken leg wasn’t healing properly,” said Mr Martin. “I underwent surgery to have the original metal pin removed and replaced with one that was almost double in length.”

Larry Shaw, an employers’ liability expert with Fentons Solicitors LLP, representing Mr Martin said: “Quentin was discharged with a walking stick after a week. He was unable to bear his full weight on his injured leg and he spent the next six weeks recovering at home unable to stand or walk without being in considerable pain.

“Quentin instructed us after the first solicitors he chose proved ineffectual,” added Mr Shaw. “More than four years have passed since Quentin was injured at work and although he has now returned to his job and he is obviously more mobile then he was previously, he still uses a walking stick and feels pain when walking on uneven ground.”

Mr Martin, who also works as a part-time DJ, takes painkillers daily and has been told he will never make a full recovery from his injury.

“Quentin is still unable to walk for any length of time without feeling pain, fatigue and weakness,” continued Mr Shaw. “In addition, he is unable to crouch or kneel for more than a few moments, yet despite these ongoing symptoms, he is pleased that after more than four years his case is finally over.”