Car accident abroad? Holidaymakers reminded you CAN claim

How can we help you?

Your enquiry will be reviewed with no obligation.

Car accident abroad? Holidaymakers reminded you CAN claim

6th November 2009

Holidaymakers unfortunate enough to be involved in a road traffic accident in an EU country are being reminded they could now be able to make a claim for compensation in the UK.

Phillipa Roberts, a holiday accident claim specialist with Fentons Solicitors LLP, said it is easier than ever to make a claim for compensation if a holidaymaker is injured in an accident that was someone else's fault.

"If a holidaymaker suffers an injury in a road accident through no fault of their own, we can pursue a claim for compensation upon their return to the UK," said Phillipa.

"As limitation dates vary from country to country, it is important that accident victims contact a personal injury specialist about their claim as soon as they return from their holiday," she said. "We have heard from several people who have been misadvised about how to go about making a claim, but essentially victims should do as they would if they were involved in an accident in the UK.

"For a start, they should make a note of all the relevant details - the date, time and location of the accident," said Phillipa. "Most importantly, they should try to get the name and insurance details of the driver, the colour, make and registration number of the other vehicle, details of the police report and a copy of their hire agreement," she said.

As all cars that are insured in the EU are now registered on a database, the identity of the UK agent for the insurer can be found more easily, which simplifies the process of making a claim for compensation in the UK.

"The rules mean that insurers across Europe have to appoint a representative in the country where the claimant lives to deal with the claim," said Phillipa. "This means that the majority of cases can be dealt with right here in the UK and for many cases court proceedings can be issued in the UK directly against a foreign insurer."

How can Fentons Solicitors help?
Fentons has a specialist department experienced in handling claims relating to accidents on holiday. If you think that you have a case or require further information, contact Fentons on 0800 019 1297 or fill in the online claims questionnaire.